Have you recently purchased, or considered purchasing, a new home? Recent sales figures suggest that the Tampa housing market is on the upswing and houses are selling for nearly five percent more.
With the market booming, demand for new homes has increased, and the supply of available homes has dropped as house hunters snatch up what’s available. This means that those looking for a new Tampa address may have to settle for a place that needs a bit of work.
Whether you’re a lucky new homeowner with a turnkey home, or an ambitious DIYer ready to dig into a fixer-upper, there are a few things every homeowner should keep in mind while getting their new place move-in ready.
Window World New Homeowner Checklist
Here at Window World, we understand how hectic a move can be! To keep you from becoming overwhelmed, we’ve outlined a few crucial checklist items to remember throughout the process.
House Hunting Stage
- Look for a home that either already meets your needs or has the potential to meet your needs. Bonus, if you can find one that also meets your non-essential extras.
- Scope out the condition of every home you tour. Give a quick onceover to the foundation, roofing, siding, flooring, windows and paint job.
- Make sure you are looking in neighborhoods that are conducive to your lifestyle. Do you prefer a more suburban or urban setting? Are you close to good schools if you have kids? How long will your commute be? These are important questions to ask upfront.
Placing an Offer
- Make sure you negotiate an offer that will allow you to fix anything that needs updating. To help you get the price down, point out any flaws that will cost you money to fix.
- Request an inspection. This will ensure that you are aware of any non-cosmetic issues that need to be addressed.
- Determine what additional insurance you may need. For example, if your land sits in an area that is prone to flooding, make sure that you purchase flood insurance, etc.
- Get started on any structural updates that need to be made right away. If your siding is damaged, make sure to replace it. If there are leaks in your ceiling or cracks in your foundation, have a professional come out and correct it.
- Make a to-do list. This will help you prioritize which tasks to knock out and when. Decide if installing hurricane impact windows is more important than buying new furniture and so on.
- Make the place your own! Decorate the interior, add a wreath to your front door, plant a garden. Add your own personal touch that will make your new house to your new home.
Are you ready to get started on your house hunt? Print off our checklist here, and remember, if you need anything along the way, Window World of Tampa is happy to help you make improvements to your new home. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule a free in-home estimate!